Wednesday, July 11, 2012

So I've decided to expand my horizon. Since I'm somewhat limited in how much I can do in VR. I've always been interested in the whole file sharing controversy. I'm a musician and I have a lot of sympathy for musicians who feel ripped off. But then it seems to me that those who bitch the loudest about file sharing always seem to be fronting for a multinational RIAA affiliated corporation that has some scheme being ramrodded through Congress to tax ISPs for their lost revenue. (Remember the tax on cassettes? I do! Is that still in effect? How much are they making off that, huh? Ho ho!) Brian Eno says:
On the end of an era “I think records were just a little bubble through time and those who made a living from them for a while were lucky. There is no reason why anyone should have made so much money from selling records except that everything was right for this period of time. I always knew it would run out sooner or later. It couldn’t last, and now it’s running out. I don’t particularly care that it is and like the way things are going. The record age was just a blip. It was a bit like if you had a source of whale blubber in the 1840s and it could be used as fuel. Before gas came along, if you traded in whale blubber, you were the richest man on Earth. Then gas came along and you’d be stuck with your whale blubber. Sorry mate – history’s moving along. Recorded music equals whale blubber. Eventually, something else will replace it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment